Deutscher Ärzte-Verlag, Cologne – Strategic project management
Deutscher Ärzte-Verlag GmbH is one of the leading medical specialist publishers in the German-speaking world. The publishing house publishes professional journals, publications from various specialist societies and other newspapers and magazines for the healthcare market. In addition, the publishing house has important online brands and is strong with further education and training offers for doctors and dentists. The flagships of the publishing house are the extremely well-known specialist journals Deutsches Ärzteblatt and Zahnärztliche Nachrichten.
Multi-project management based on Microsoft SharePoint was to be implemented at Deutscher Ärzteverlag. An essential requirement was to provide meaningful project status information (time – budget – quality) as reporting for the management.
The system should not only support project managers with a clear tool when planning effort and resources, but also enable the management of projects with service providers (work packages commissioned externally). In addition, information from the LTRS ticket system was to be transferred to the LVM project management system via workflow.
- Individual company requirements for project work
- Implementation of the PM Office in the company structure
- Training of the project managers and project employees to explain the PM office, including via intranet sites
- The requirements were implemented with the introduction of the project management system LPM for Microsoft SharePoint.
- The sub-projects are managed with reduced metadata.
- Sub-project managers (including external suppliers) manage the sub-project on their own responsibility and provide status information
to the overall project manager for evaluation and coordination.
- The project information is transferred from the ticket system via a SharePoint workflow.
- Adjustments (creation of project rooms, automatic project numbering) could be carried out thanks to the open SharePoint structure
This is what the customer says:
Our management receives a simple overall view of all the company’s projects.
With this system, a careful introduction can be carried out under the motto “Start small, think big”.
With the project management solution based on Sharepoints, we are able to better integrate our service providers into our project management.
Next year we will migrate the two solutions from Locatech, the service desk system LTRS and project management, to the SharePoint 2013 platform.
Harald Ney, business IT specialist